Monday, August 08, 2005

Peter Jennings, RIP



Peter Jennings is dead at 67. Sad day. Jennings was the voice of the news I always seemed to choose. Probably because he was the voice of the news I grew up listening to. I never thought about his political leanings or worried about what angle the news was being portrayed. I just tuned in. Maybe it was because he's Canadian and the Canucks seem cool. Maybe it was because he simply told the story and was on free TV.

Today everyone, and particularly members of the media, is quickly labelled as left or right, liberal or conservative, right or wrong, and thereby judged on contact. It's all nitpicking, hating and dividing. And getting uglier.

Jennings never seemed caught up in that. He was a true journalist. He was above the fray.

It didn't hurt that he looked fit to play the part of James Bonds should he ever get the acting bug.

What is it about 67? I think Ernest Hemingway and Hunter S. Thompson went out at 67 as well. Now Jennings. Three heavyweights there. Is 67 to sorytellers what 27 is to rock stars?



The shuttle Discovery has been ordered to slowly orbit the earth for one more day while the weather in Florida clears up. This after shrugging off a few minor fix-ups that were deemed serviceable. Jennings would have been all over this story.

1 Comments:

Blogger WarriorFive said...

I feel the same way about Peter Jennings. He was a smooth cat that flawlessly shot it from the hip. My real relationship with him stems from Sept. 11th. We all remember staring at the tube for 12 hours that day trying to piece it all together. We watched him. I went to bed at 1 a.m with his voice cracking in my ear. I woke up 5 hours later and he was still going! I thought "Oh my god! That can't be healthy!". You could visibly see him bob and weeve and slur as he went from one source to another. It remeinded me of a radio host that did a 100 hour live show in the 70's. They say he was never the same after it was over. Peter Jennings became a permanent fixture in ny head/heart over those 24 hours, and I'll always be thankful I went through such a tragic event, with such an honorable man! In hind sight, I never meant to just watch Jennings that day(s) I think I just stopped the remote at the sound of his confident/knowledgeable/and trusting voice. Thank you...

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home