Sunday, February 26, 2006

Appalling



So I just flipped on the Celtics-Lakers game at the Staples Center and nearly shit myself. The Lakers are wearing white uniforms. White! Yeah, I've seen the white unis before, so I wasn't shocked, but against the Celtics? The white monstrocities look like something the LA Sparks should be wearing. Lisa Leslie might look nice. Not the Lakers and especially not against the Celtics.

But this put me over the top: the Celtics are wearing some god forsaken alternate unis featuring black trim. I had already seen these unis when the Celtics played the Bulls, which is one thing, but...you know what? I can't even comment on this rationally right now.

I'm far from wise, but one thing I know is that when the Lakers and Celtics meet in LA, the Lakers should be wearing yellow and the Celtics should be wearing the classic, old fashioned green with nothing but simple white trim. Just like Bill Russell and Bob Cousy and Larry Bird. Anything else is unacceptable. UNACCEPTABLE!

Doesn't anyone respect tradition anymore? For fucksake.

That said, I must admit that Delonte West is quite nicely filling Dennis Johnson's old role on the Celtics of being one ugly mofo with vaguely red hair.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Bullets!

5:56 PM  
Blogger UnknownColumn said...

Bullets?

OK, that's funny. And speaking of unis, those old Bullets unis from the late '70s/early '80s are awesome. They should bring those back. You know, the ones with stars and stripes all over the place. Sweeeeeet.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous clarkgs2@juno.com said...

Delonte West may be ugly but he's a Hawk...and that counts for a lot...

Gerry - Saint Joseph's '83

4:37 AM  
Blogger UnknownColumn said...

I won't argue that. That St Joe's team in '04 is one of my all-time favorite college squads. Underdogs conquering the world. I loved how they made Billy Packer shut his yapping and they were that one missed shot by Jameer Nelson from beating Oklahoma St and going to the Final Four. That must have broke your heart. It tugged at mine. Awesome, awesome team.

Besides, how can you not love Phil Martelli?

5:32 AM  
Blogger White Silk said...

I was a big fan of that St. Joe's team as well - they played the game well - took smart shots, passed the ball, rebounded, played team Dee and had two legit "stars" in Jameer and Delonte.

I so hoped they would get to the title game (and even win it) not only b/c I enjoyed their game but more to shut that fatheaded, loudmouth Billy Packer. As much as their run to the Elite Eight was a good story and should have clammed that jackass up, a run at the title as a Final Four member would have shut that clown's piehole all the more.

I like Martelli - a good coach who valued the kids. Plus, he kind of looks like the killer from the original Hannibal Lecter film, "Maneater" with William Peterson.

9:14 AM  
Blogger UnknownColumn said...

I agree on Martelli "valuing the kids." I always got the sense that he's a really good guy who runs a program with a family-like atmosphere and has success without getting the big name recruits. He reminds me a little of John Chaney in that regard, but without, you know, sending goons on the court and all that. (Just kidding. I like Chaney, too. Remember when he wanted to fight Calipari at a press conference? That was great.) I've liked St Joe's ever since Martelli got them back on the national scene.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home