Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Get These Two A Room Already



The catfight between Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick continued on during a press conference after their race yesterday. Hiss! Listen, when you're being compared to Tonya Harding and Nancy Kerrigan in the annals of Olympic history, somewhere along the line, somehow, you done fucked up. And there's no going back.

"There's nothing to kiss and hug about," Hedrick said. "We're competitors. We want to beat everybody out there. And if we don't feel that way we're never going to win. Michael Jordan doesn't go onto the court unless he is confident he's going to win. He's going to do everything he can do to win. And that's how it is. And that's how every top level athlete is and if he's not that way he's not a winner."

Seemingly irritated when Hedrick evoked Jordan's name, Davis fired his own salvo:

"Speaking of Michael Jordan, since I'm from Chicago and a big Michael Jordan fan, I've never seen him act in an unprofessional manner when it came to losing....


Oh, snap! Hedrick did not bring up the name of Michael Jordan to a Chicagoan, did he? Tell me he didn't bring up the name of Michael Jordan! Tell me before I hurt somebody! Dems fighting words!

Then, after Hedrick straightened out his dress, Davis went all bitchy his damn self...

"I'll be honest in front of all you people since me and Chad were fighting for the same thing. He wants to win; I want to win. It would have been nice - and I'm just throwing it out there - it would have been nice if after the 1000 meters he could have been a good teammate and shook my hand. Just like I hugged him after he won the 5000 meters."

Davis then stalked off the dais. "I'm done," he said. "I've got nothing else to say, then quietly, "shakes my hand when I lose."


Throw it out there, baby! I'll tell you what. If this were a couple of broads I'd be turned on by now. Where's the Jello?

"We had a great opportunity to win the team pursuit race and I felt betrayed in a way," Hedrick said after Davis left the room. "Not only did Shani not participate in it, he didn't even discuss it with me. And as the leader of the team I felt like we passed up a medal. It was nothing to do with me wining five gold medals because I never quoted that in the paper. That's something that you guys started. I felt betrayed in a way."


Now, this actually interests me. A lot of people have been throwing Hedrick under the bus for being selfish in wanting Davis to race in the pursuit, saying he only cared about his own personal medal count. Well, Hedrick implies that he never said that. It certainly wouldn't be the first time the media ran with a storyline regardless of the truth behind it.

Fabris and Davis skated a victory lap together, while Hedrick, visibly upset, sat down and removed his skates. Davis then tousled Fabris' hair on the podium, while Hedrick continued to look like a man who didn't accomplish much of anything.


What??? Davis "tousled" Fabris' hair? This just keeps getting gayer and gayer.

Hedrick said "there's nothing going on between us," and tried making the argument that "he and I make each other stronger."


You complete me.

Also, the Tribune had this tidbit...

Before he left, Davis repeatedly lectured the media for focusing on their two-year rivalry over the competition.

"[Speedskating] is going to be popular in America when people realize that it's something Americans are good at," he said. "But when you put things in a negative twist and you try to make things controversial to bring in more attention to something that people wouldn't normally pay attention to, it's false, it's not correct and I don't appreciate it at all."

Hedrick's response, unsurprisingly, was the opposite of Davis'.

"I think it's great what they're trying to make [out of] this sport, and it's Shani and I battling each other," he said. "That's what this sport needs, and it's up to us.


I have to agree with Hedrick here. There are a lot of people who before this week knew little or nothing about speedskating, but today are interested. Look, Hedrick beat Davis in the 5000. Davis beat Hedrick in the 1500. And it's a shame that they won't have a rubber match, right?

All I know for sure is that neither of these cats are ending up on one of these...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Like your blog but come on "This just keeps getting gayer and gayer"?
These dudes tour the world seeing the same guys over and over in competition and especially if you are on the same team you get to know them.
The focus should be on what the lackluster efforts being made of coaches and personal managers to keep them focused on their public images. Especially Shani as a ground breaker (African american GOLD MEDAL speed skater HELL YEAH!). Walking away was better then getting dragged down by others in the sport who are for whatever reason not seeing that public image is part of the JOB....HELLO?

12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home