It's Been Awhile
The Unknown Column has been away, testing the bounds of reality (as they say), floating through space, and dealing with some shit. Let me catch up on a few things:
1) Da Bears. That was a helluva a beatdown da Bears laid on Seattle on Sunday night. Hell, at this point the Bears look so damn good in all facets of the game that I'm actually wondering if they're peaking too early. Maybe they should save some of this utter domination for, you know, January.
Everything is clicking right now. Everything. The defense is as awesome as ever, allowing just one touchdown so far this season. Rex Grossman looks great. How great? He's looking like a fantasy starter (ie, he's piling up stats, which is unheard of from a Bears quarterback). More importantly, he's winning. Period. Even Thomas Jones and the running game looks to be back on track.
Not to look ahead, but the upcoming schedule looks more than manageable. Barring a major upset, the Bears shouldn't lose for a long while. This ride is only beginning, the journey is just underway. Strap yourself in, sit back, and enjoy.
I guess the best thing da Bears can do at the moment is to keep doing exactly what they're doing. Keep improving. Keep working. Don't get cocky. And stay healthy.
Here we go now.
2) Dusty Baker was shitcanced by the Cubs. Yet another depressing chapter in the sad tale of the Cubs has come to an end with a whimper and not a bang. Now, of course, for the next several weeks, we'll be lambasted with news about the Cubs managerial search.
Which doesn't even matter.
Look, regardless of who the Cubs hire, we all know how it's going to end. It's going to end badly. That's just the way it is with this joke of a franchise. So, please, spare us all all the constant reminders of the Cubs pathetic offseason and stop pretending like the Cubs even matter. There is absolutely no reason for the Cubs manager search to be front page news. None. Put it on page seven next to the high school scores where it deserves to be. Just tell us when a new manager is hired so we can shake our heads at his misfortune, wish him luck, and move on. Let's not act like this is a big deal. It's not.
3) Apparently, Congress is about to pass a bill that would outlaw internet gambling. I'm speechless. I'm in shock. I feel faint. I'm scared.
The present administration has done a lot of awful things and made countless poor decisions. Hell, I'm convinced W will go down as the worst president ever. But this crosses the line. I've had enough. I'm storming the gates.
Gambling? Really? With all the shit going down (Iraq, a horrible economy, kiddie fiddlers, etc.) gambling is what these useless politicians decide to go after with venom? Gambling? The entire country is spiralling out of control, it's all their fault, and they've decided to crack down on some overweight slob in his frontroom with pizza stains on his shirt who wants to place a few bucks on the under for the Purdue-Wisconsin game? Really?
4) The Bulls have opened training camp. I've not been this excited about a Bulls team since the dynasty years. Listen, I don't want to look too far ahead or count any chickens before they hatch, but between the Bears and the Bulls, there is so, so much to look forward to in the immediate future here in Chitown.
Oh, and the Fire enters the MLS playoffs very soon.
5) The Blackhawks (Yawn) are currently (Yawn) in preseason. (Yawn)
6) Rock on.